University of Chicago Press
University of Chicago Press hold journals from the current and previous three years. PSC hold all older back volumes and can supply high quality reprints for most volumes that were previously out-of-print.
Click on the title for a quotation for part sets, single back volumes, back issues or volumes not listed here.
Vols. 1-117. Chicago, 1893-2010/11. Partly reprint. $ 7900
- Formerly published as SCHOOL REVIEW
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF EDUCATION integrates the intellectual, methodological, and substantive diversity of educational scholarship. Encourages dialogue between scholars and practitioners.
Vols. 1-114. Chicago, 1895/96-2008/09. Partly reprint. Partly bound. $ 8.950
Single volumes may be available. Please inquire.
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY is the oldest continuously published journal in this field. It and the AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW are the most important and prestigious sociological publications. Basic to any academic library with a social science clientele and should be considered by large research-oriented public libraries (Katz/Richards).
Devoted to the Conceptual Unification of the Biological Sciences.
Vols. 1-172. Chicago, 1867-2008. Partly reprint. $ 8.800
Single volumes may be available. Please inquire.
- Founded in 1867 and published for The American Society of Naturalists, AMERICAN NATURALIST is one of the world's most renowned, peer-reviewed publications in ecology, evolution, and population & integrative biology research.
Vols. 1-30. Tucson, 1982-2011. $ 2500
- ART DOCUMENTATION contains articles relevant to art librarianship and visual resources curatorship.
Vols. 109-123. San Francisco, 1997-2011. Partly reprint. $ 4400
- Published regularly since 1889, PASP is the technical journal of the ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC. It publishes refereed papers on astronomical research covering all wavelengths and distance scales as well as papers on the latest innovations in astronomical instrumentation and software.
A journal devoted to research in the languages, literatures, history and life of classical antiquity.
Vols. 1-106. Chicago, 1906-2011. Mostly reprint. $ 8000
- CLASSICAL PHILOLOGY studies the life and thought of classical antiquity with papers on Greek and Roman languages and literatures, history, philosophy, religion, art and society.
Vols. 1-55. Chicago, 1957-2011. Partly reprint. $ 3800
- COMPARATIVE EDUCATION REVIEW publishes a balanced selection of analysis and research reports on all aspects of international and comparative education. It includes both qualitative and quantitative studies (Katz).
Vols. 1-38. Chicago, 1974/75-2011/12. Partly reprint. $ 4200
- CRITICAL INQUIRY combines the art of criticism with excellent writing and applies both to the broadest range of subjects imaginable. Each issue includes six to eight articles on topics from the arts, philosophy, literature, film, history, and politics (Katz).
World journal of the sciences of man.
Vols. 1-50. Chicago, 1960-2009. Partly reprint. $ 5600
- CURRENT ANTHROPOLOGY contains research articles and commentary throughout social, cultural, and physical anthropology, ethnology and folklore.
Vols. 1-60. Chicago, 1952/53-2011/12. Partly reprint. $ 5200
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND CULTURAL CHANGE searches for new theoretical approaches that integrate the concepts of social change with economic theories. Examines the social and economic forces that affect development and its effect on culture.
Vols. 1-109. Chicago, 1900/01-2008/09. Partly reprint. $ 5.050
Single volumes may be available. Please inquire.
- ELEMENTARY SCHOOL JOURNAL seeks to inform elementary and middle school practice by publishing five to six research studies per journal. Many reports are of case studies. This journal will be important for libraries serving graduate elementary education programs (Katz).
An international journal of social, political and legal philosophy
Vols. 1-122. Chicago, 1890/91-2011. Partly reprint. $ 9200
- Vols. 1-47 published as INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ETHICS.
- ETHICS is a leading journal in the fields of social and political philosophy and ethics. It serves as a forum for the discussion of both traditional and contemporary utilitarian and deontological normative theories, as well as a wide range of meta-ethical topics. In addition to moral philosophy, Ethics is also an important journal for philosophy of law, public policy issues, religious ethics, normative economics, international law, and social and rational choice theory (Katz).
An international journal for comparative historical studies
Vols. 1-51. Chicago, 1961/62-2011. Partly reprint. $ 4000
- HISTORY OF RELIGIONS studies religious phenomena from prehistory to modern times, both within particular traditions and across cultural boundaries.
Vols. 1-77. Chicago, 1917/20-2011. Mostly reprint. $ 8100
- Clearly serving a highly specialized niche in linguistics, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF AMERICAN LINGUISTICS will be useful at institutions offering programs in linguistics and Native American Studies. Each issue includes three or four research articles covering aspects of the native languages of the Americas from description to linguistic theory (Katz).
Vols. 151-172. Chicago, 1990-2011. Partly reprint. $ 5700
- Formerly published as BOTANICAL GAZETTE, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PLANT SCIENCES covers genetics and genomics, developmental and cell biology, biochemistry and physiology, morphology and structure, systematics, plant-microbe interactions, paleobotany, evolution and ecology.
An international review devoted to the history of science and its cultural influences.
Vols. 1-102. Philadelphia, 1913-2011. Partly reprint. $ 10000
- The offical journal of the History of Science Society and the basic scholarly journal in the history of science, ISIS covers all periods and all areas, especially engineering, mathematics, medicine, technology, philosophy of science, and the natural and physical sciences and belongs in all collections with an interest in that discipline. (Katz Magazines for Libraries, 4th ed.)
The Graduate School of Business of the University of Chicago
Vols. 1-79. All publ. Chicago, 1928-2006. Partly reprint. $ 5600
Supplement "STUDIES IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION". Vols. 1-17. 1929-1947. Per volume $ 65.-
- The JOURNAL OF BUSINESS publishes approximately six research, analysis, and inquiry articles and a list of books received in each issue. Articles are generally theoretical and require some mathematical or statistical background to fully appreciate. School news from the University of Chicago is included (Katz).
Vols. 1-36. Chicago, 1974/75-2009/10. Mostly reprint. $ 4600
- JOURNAL OF CONSUMER RESEARCH focuses on scholarly research aimed at describing and explaining consumer behavior, in the broadest sense of that term.
Vols. 98-119. Chicago, 1990-2011. Partly reprint. $ 2700
- Published since 1893, The JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY publishes original research and theory in geology, including geophysics, geochemistry, sedimentology, geomorphology, petrology, plate tectonics, volcanology, structural geology, mineralogy and planetary sciences.
Vols. 1-5. Chicago, 2007-2011. $ 1000
- JOURNAL OF HUMAN CAPITAL offers a forum for theoretical and empirical work in human capital and related public policy analysis.
National Opinion Research Center
Vols. 1-29. Chicago, 1983-2011. Mostly reprint. $ 5400
- Affiliated with the Economics Research Center and the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, the JOURNAL OF LABOR ECONOMICS aims to present theoretical and empirical articles on "supply and demand for labor services, compensation, labor markets, distribution of income, labor demographics, unions and collective bargaining, research relating to both U.S. and international data, and applied and policy issues in labor economics" (Katz).
Vols. 1-54. Chicago, 1958-2011. Partly reprint. $ 3700
- Established in 1958, the JOURNAL OF LAW AND ECONOMICS publishes research on the economic analysis of regulation, the behavior of regulated firms, the political economy of legislation and legislative processes, law and finance, corporate finance and governance and industrial organization.
University of Chicago, Law School
Vols. 1-40. Chicago, 1972-2011. Partly reprint. $ 3100
- Like other law-related publications from the University of Chicago, JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES ranks among the most frequently cited of the legal literature. It provides a forum for basic theoretical, empirical, historical, and comparative research into the operation of legal systems and institutions, relying on contributions from economists, political scientists, sociologists, and other social scientists, as well as legal scholars, for its content (Katz).
Vols. 1-83. Chicago, 1929-2011. Partly reprint. $ 5200
- JOURNAL OF MODERN HISTORY covers the history of the European continent since the Renaissance. Studies intellectual, political, and cultural history of events and movements in specific countries, as well as broader questions.
Journal of the Department of Oriental Languages and Civilizations of the University of Chicago
Vols. 1-70. Chicago, 1942-2011. Mostly reprint. $ 6000
- Formerly published as HEBRAICA and as AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SEMITIC LANGUAGES AND LITERATURES
- JOURNAL OF NEAR EASTERN STUDIES covers a broad scope of examinations into the ancient and medieval civilizations of the area, including archaeology, history, literature, religion, linguistics, and law.
Vols. 1-119. Chicago, 1892/93-2011. Partly reprint. $ 12000
- JOURNAL OF POLITICAL ECONOMY is the leading economics journal and belongs in all substantial academic collections (Katz). It presents work in traditional areas of political economics: monetary theory, fiscal policy, labor economics, planning and development, micro- and macroeconomic theory, and international trade and finance. Also publishes analyses in related fields such as economic thought and social economics.
Southern Political Science Association
Vols. 1-73. Malden, 1939-2011. Partly reprint. $ 10000
- JOURNAL OF POLITICS covers American, comparative, and international political science. Includes various methodological approaches.
Vols. 1-91. Chicago, 1921-2011. Partly reprint. $ 6200
- JOURNAL OF RELIGION promotes critical and systematic inquiry into the meaning and import of religion. Also embraces literary, social, psychological, and philosophical studies of religion.
A journal of investigation and discussion in the field of library science
Vols. 1-81. Chicago, 1931-2011. Partly reprint. $ 4700
- Founded in 1931, The LIBRARY QUARTERLY publishes scholarly research in historical, sociological, cultural, evaluative, statistical, bibliographical, managerial, and educational librarianship.
Critical and historical studies in postclassical literature
Vols. 1-109. Chicago, 1903/04-2011/12. Mostly reprint. $ 7900
- MODERN PHILOLOGY is devoted to the study of literature from the Middle Ages to the present. Assuming the broadest interpretation of the word philology, this journal publishes the results of original literary and linguistic investigations as well as diversified essays in criticism and analysis.
Studies on the History and Philosophy of Science
Chicago, 1936-2009. Partly reprint. $ 2800
- Founded in 1936 by George Sarton and re-launched by the History of Science Society in 1985, OSIRIS, an annual thematic journal, highlights recent research on significant themes in the history of science.
Vols. 1-78. Chicago, 1934-2011. Partly reprint. $ 5200
- Sponsored by The Philosophy of Science Association and published since 1934, PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE is dedicated to the furthering of studies and free discussion from diverse standpoints in the philosophy of science.
A quarterly journal of zoological research
Vols. 63-84. Chicago, 1990-2011. $ 2700
- Published for The Division of Comparative Physiology and Biochemistry of The Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology, formerly published as PHYSIOLOGICAL ZOOLOGY, PHYSIOLOGICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL ZOOLOGY has presented current research in environmental, adaptational, and comparative physiology and biochemistry since 1928.
Vols. 1-83. Chicago, 1926-2008. Partly reprint. $ 3.750
Single volumes may be available. Please inquire.
- The leading general review journal in biology, The QUARTERLY REVIEW OF BIOLOGY (QRB), founded in 1926, presents historical, philosophical and technical treatments of important biological topics.
Vols. 1-39. Evanston, 1968-2011. Reprint. $ 1400
- RENAISSANCE DRAMA explores the rich variety of theatrical and performance traditions and practices in early modern Europe and intersecting cultures. The sole scholarly journal devoted to the full expanse of Renaissance theatre and performance, the journal publishes articles that extend the scope of our understanding of early modern playing, theatre history, and dramatic texts and interpretation, encouraging innovative theoretical and methodological approaches to these traditions, examining familiar works, and revisiting well-known texts from fresh perspectives.
Vols. 1-64. New York, 1948-2011. Partly reprint. $ 4200
- Formerly published as RENAISSANCE NEWS
- RENAISSANCE QUARTERLY is a must for Renaissance scholars and students. Each issue contains research studies, review essays and many book reviews. Literary works and themes are the focus of many articles in addition to specialized studies in the arts, religion, or social aspects of the Renaissance. English-language works predominate, but some titles in French, Italian, etc. are included. As the official publication of the Renaissance Society of America, the journal also includes reports of society meetings (Katz).
Vols. 1-8. Chicago, 2004-2011. Partly reprint. $ 1000
- SCHOOLS: STUDIES IN EDUCATION is a refereed international education journal for pre-k12 educators, administrators, university professors, and others who work with school-aged students.
Journal of women in culture and society
Vols. 1-35. Chicago, 1975/76-2009/10. Partly reprint. $ 4600
- SIGNS is considered by many to be the leading journal in women's studies, and its reputation is well deserved. The "intellectual energy" that its founder, Catherine Simpson, saw in the field of women's studies has been a continuing characteristic of the journal (Katz).
Sole agent for Japan: Far Eastern Booksellers Ltd., Tokyo
Vols. 1-85. Chicago, 1927-2011. Partly reprint. $ 6200
- SOCIAL SERVICE REVIEW examines social welfare practice and evaluates its effects. Covers such topics as poverty, ethnicity, income distribution, family conflict, social welfare policy, mental health services, community development, and deviancy.
A Journal of Decorative Arts, Design History and Material
Vols. 1-18. New York, 1993/94-2011. Partly reprint. $ 2000
- Formerly published as STUDIES IN THE DECORATIVE ARTS
- WEST 86TH publishes new research and interpretation in the history of the decorative arts. The journal studies all periods and cultures.
Vols. 1-45. Chicago, 1964-2011. Mostly reprint. $ 4700
- Published since 1964 and sponsored by The Henry Francis Dupont Winterthur Museum, WINTERTHUR PORTFOLIO is an interdisciplinary journal committed to fostering knowledge of the American past by publishing articles on the arts in America and the historical context within which they developed.
If you cannot find the title you are looking for in this list, please let us know.
If you are looking for a subscription to the current year of a journal from University of Chicago Press, please click here.